Thursday, April 26, 2012

QR Code Quilt Done!

My sister, Karen, is an art major at Oklahoma State University.  She made an exceptional art project which inspired me to make a similar quilt.  She made a three dimensional QR wooden wall hanging. It is fantastic, made entirely of little wooden blocks.  The little blocks surrounding the piece are also QR codes.  A very NOW project! Check her blog out http://karenskrazykreations.blogspot.com/
to see how she made this.

 Isn't it cool!

QR, which stands for Quick Response, are those square bar codes you see in magazines, posters, etc.  You can download a free app for your smart phones and then be able to scan them to learn more information on whatever is being advertised.  Many times it is just a website with detailed info.  Quick Information!


I went to a QR code generator to put in the info I wanted. Well, I soon learned that the more information you want in your QR the more squares you have.  I quickly decided I wanted a small wall hanging.  It ended up being about 32" square for one word.  And it does not have to be black and white--I used a dark print instead of black.  You just need contrast.



















Since I had printed out that original code with lots of data, I decided to print that on a sheet of fabric and put it on the center of the back.  If I counted correct, there would have been 66 squares across and down instead of the 21 I had.  Way too many for me!




















This was a fun project--something a little different.  It will definitely be a conversation starter.  Let me know if you know what it says!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what it says (have to wait for my husband to get here with his i-phone), but I want to do this! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I know! Very cool. I think we can start a trend. It would make a really cool family tree quilt for wedding gifts or even baby blankets. Put baby's surname on the front and mommy & daddy info on the back...along with who made it. I can think of so many ideas...you know I'm the idea person in this business! BTW, where is mine? I claim creative rights...hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. Love the print you used.

    ReplyDelete